Part 7 - Publicist role
You've read Part 6 - Smooth Operatives.
Here's Part 7 - Publicist Role.
Your Publicist role is a seamless blend of your brand, your personality, your business style & presence. Don't out-source this role - it is at the core of your business success.
OVerview of your publicist role
Your role as your own publicist encompasses the following, and more:
- Brand (yes, you are your brand)
- Salespersons (selling is an exchange of money for goods/services)
- Relationship builder
- Public relations manager
- Speaker ...
Starting to see how this role is at the core of your business?
Do you really have to do all that, by yourself?
To give you an idea of how to work this:
- Spokesperson - get help writing the speech / talk, but you have to deliver it.
- Relationship builder - by all means have others in your supply chain, but you must own the relationship with your client.
- Marketer - get others to design & create / print then deliver the material, but you are responsible for the ultimate look & feel and message.
- Brand - whenever and wherever you / your business interact or engage with others, you or your representatives need to demonstrate your brand, and you must own your brand in the minds of your customers and suppliers.
Get the idea? Performing a task to create an output is one thing - owning the output is another.
How are you doing with that table? Think about the above very carefully. Which aspects of your business interfaces are core? As an example - at which client touch-points in your business is your reputation most at risk? Find those, and you'll have most of your Publicist duties.
Let me know your progress in the comments.
Summary of this series:
Part 1: Where do you spend your time? (traditional versus alternate business roles)
Part 2: Where should you spend your time? (what to keep in-house, & what to out-source?)
Part 3: The Muse in your business (inspiration, vision, training, education)
Part 4: The Architect in your business (business plan, business model, strategy)
Part 5: The Techie in your business (infrastructure, systems, processes)
Part 6: Smooth Operatives in your business (operations)
Part 7: Publicist Role (marketing, networking, sales, social media)
Part 8: You, the Mastermind (JVs, partnerships, think-tanks, groups).